The CCL seeks full-time curators who are currently employed at art museums where they are charged with the care, display, and interpretation of objects as well as the organization of temporary exhibitions. Nominations will be sought from museum directors and administrators, but self-nominations are also strongly encouraged.
Applicants should be proven scholars and leaders in their field. They should also have demonstrated some leadership initiative, either in their museums or in other aspects of their lives (e.g., community service, board service, etc.).
Applications will be reviewed by the director of the CCL and a small committee of current and former museum directors.
Beginning January 4 - 16, 2015, the program will consist of the following:
- In January, a two-week intensive program in New York each January that includes teaching (led by faculty members from Columbia University Business School) and practical exposure and assignments (to be provided by museums, cultural institutions, and other civic organizations across the city)
- A mentorship/residency with a museum director from an institution different from the fellow’s home institution.
- A student mentoring project, assigned in January, to cover the span of the fellowship.
- A one-week program in May or June that includes instruction, coaching, and presentation of team assignment
The 2015 tuition is $2,500 per Fellow to cover a portion of the program expenses. The CCL will absorb the rest of the cost of travel, hotel, and other expenses related to the program. Tuition assistance will be available to all accepted candidates on an as-need basis; it is strongly encouraged, however, that museums support the professional development of their curators and underwrite the tuition fee.
July 11th UPDATE:
We apologize for the issues many applicants have experienced with the new online system. Thank you for your patience as we work through the glitches with this new technology. The deadline for application AND recommendation submissions has been extended until these issues are resolved completely.
Please email Hannah.email@example.com
with questions or technical issues so she can quickly report them to the web team that is standing by.
Please read carefully the following instructions:
- Click here to access the Online Applications Portal
- Step 1: Create an Account with the Center for Curatorial Leadership
- Step 2: Begin your application. Fill out General information, biography, and upload your CV. You may save and return to the application at any time. Fill out contact information for your two recommenders. Your recommenders will be contacted via email with links to register and submit their recommendation letters.
- Step 3: Provide short answers to three essay questions.
- Step 4: Review your information. You may save and return to the application at any time.
- Step 5: Submit your application.
The CCL staff is ready and able to answer your questions about this new process. Please email firstname.lastname@example.org